The Botereid

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Epistle to the President

Dear Mr. President-Elect:

First, you should be ashamed. As a first-time voter, I was utterly disheartened by the vile campaign. This isn't meant to excuse your rival, but it's you, the President of the United States, whom I'm expecting better from in the future. You and your supporters are responsible for much of the discord in this election. Shame on you.

With that aside, congratulations and the best of everything these next four years. Your past may not be thrilling, but this is a new day. You have my trust because I must give it. I have to keep believing that my next breath will be sweeter than the last. I have to believe that we can mend this world together, with our ideas and our sweat. At this moment, this is all I have for you, but I don't think you could ask for more from me. You have me with you.

No matter what you do, some people out there will hate you. Some hold you to be an abomination and dream for your misfortune; some swear that you will never represent them. I won't be one of them. I know that your fortune is ours. I promise to defend you against falsity. All I beg is that you don't abuse this dedication. If you do, you'll hear from me.

You lead us in a perilous time, Mr. President. I believe that you can lead us through it safely. Be wise, for we are a world in tumult. Be bold, lest we founder. You are our champion. Make yourself worthy of it.

Yours,

Xavier Botero

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home